Simple Pleasure #52: Yoga – 10 Reasons Why it’s Awesome
I’m getting back into Yoga. Why? Why not? It freak’n makes me feel great! Yoga does seem like the “hip” thing to do right now, but it’s so good for you. It feels as if there is equal amount of yoga studios as there is Starbucks, which makes it really easy to keep a consistent practice going (yoga that is, not coffee drinking). I started a morning ritual 16 days ago that includes me doing some type of a little yoga flow, usually whatever my body is feeling, and been it’s been amazing. So what is so great about yoga anyway? There are, what seems like, a million benefits of Yoga. If you don’t already know some of them let me share 10 little reasons why it’s awesome…
1. Well for starters… this photo.
2. All of these things…
Somatic and kinesthetic awareness increase
Mood improves and subjective well-being increases
Self-acceptance and self-actualization increase
Social adjustment increases
Anxiety and depression decrease
Learning efficiency improves
Social skills increases
Depth perception improves
3. Yoga is union of mind and body, a spiritual science of self realization. Yoga comes from the Sanskrit word “yuj” which means to unite or to join.
4. Sexy men do Yoga.
5. Yoga helps you to connect with your inner spirit, which is essentially divine and is connected to the universal spirit or God…. or peanut butter… depending on what you believe in of course. 🙂
6. Detoxification: Yoga ensures gentle stretching of muscles and joints apart form the comprehensive work out of various internal organs, which in turn improves the optimum blood supply. A healthy blood flow is essential in flushing out the toxins and to provide nourishment to every cell in the body for a zestful life. Yoga can slacken the pace of ageing and ensure vitality.
7. Helps find inner peace… it’s there, trust me.
8. Improves your metabolism.
Having a balanced metabolism results in maintaining a healthy weight and controlling hunger. Consistent yoga practice helps find the balance and creates a more efficient metabolism… Rad.
9. All of this…
Pulse rate decreases
Respiratory rate decreases
Blood pressure decreases
Cardiovascular efficiency increases
Respiratory efficiency increases
Gastrointestinal function normalizes
Musculoskeletal flexibility and joint range of motion increase
Breath-holding time increases
Grip strength increases
Eye-hand coordination improves
Dexterity skills improve
Reaction time improves
Strength and resiliency increase
Energy levels increase
Integrated functioning of body parts improve
10. Happiness. I’ve got a long way to go before I’m doing naked Yoga. I’m just grateful that I can do this…