Simple Pleasure #106: Reishi Mushroom Tea + Benefits
You may be thinking… “what is the world are Reishi Mushrooms???” If you don’t know, you’re about to know. Reishi mushrooms have been used for 2,000 some odd years in Chinese medicine. It’s presumed health benefits and apparent absence of side-effects has given it the reputation as the elixir of eternal life. I forget how I learned about reishi mushroom use for health benefits but I have been using it for quite some time now, and just recently I have been making into a tea. Before I get into the details of making the tea allow me to share with you some of the uses for reishi:
- Boosting the immune system
- Cancer prevention
- Lowering blood pressure
- Lowering cholesterol
- Viral infections
- Prostate cancer
- Heart disease
- Asthma and bronchitis
- Kidney disorders
- Liver disease
- HIV disease
- Altitude sickness
- Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS)
- Trouble sleeping (insomnia)
- Stomach ulcers
- Protects against radiation damage
Pretty amazing huh? No wonder they call it the elixir for external life! For more information that goes into specifically some of the above benefits you can do some more reading here and here. If pregnant, make sure to check with your doctor first.
Reishi Mushroom Tea
- Small handful of dried reishi slices
- Tea of choice (I usually use yerba mate or a flavored tea like peach)
- About 50oz of water
- Place water and mushrooms in a pot or kettle and bring to a boil. Remove from heat once boiling and let sit.
- Meanwhile brew your tea. I like to to take some of the just boiled reishi water and brew it in that. Brew it a little longer than normal… you’re making a big batch.
- After a few minutes remove tea and mushrooms.
- If you prefer to add a little sweetener, like honey, add it while the tea is still hot.
- Once the reishi and tea have cooled combine in a container (I like to use glass, just don’t pour hot tea in glass and stick it in the fridge, wait till it has cooled) and stick it in the fridge. Enjoy over ice or reheat on stove for a hot cup of tea.
- Sip knowing that you are giving your body a healthy punch of immune boosting, cancer fighting, stress reducing goodness!!!