25 Ways to Radically Love Yourself Right Now
When February rolls around we put a lot of attention on to others, and that’s great, but what about yourself? Giving to others is a form of self love because what you give you receive, but what is it like to truly be wildly in love with ourselves? Not in the egotistical kind of way but in a way that is unbound and free of others expectations (even our own), to live bearing our hearts and souls, and to tell our fears to fuck off. This Valentine’s Day, and so on, give yourself the gift of self love.
1. Let go. There is shit that we just can not change. Accept that you are exactly where you need to be and everything that has happened is to help you grow. So take the lessons and let that shit go. Not only will you start feeling better about yourself, it will clear up stale energy that will allow for new things to come into your life.
2. Hug it out. Do you ever think of how long we go before we touch another human being? For some people that can be days, even longer. Human connection is something we can easily take for granted, but we need touch. It heightens our senses and releases endorphins. Skip the hand shake and go for the hug. You’ll know when it’s a appropriate… if not, it will make for some great fun.
3. Say ‘I Love You’s’. Start noticing when you say negative things about yourself, then switch it around to an I love you or I love my ____. For example… I’ve noticed a couple wrinkles. Immediately I’m thinking I’m getting old and I’ve got to find the next best cream to make them go away. How silly I say when I caught myself and starting saying, I love my wrinkles, I love my skin, I love my body. You get the idea.
4. Get yourself an Own Your Awesome positive affirmations deck. Pull a card out each day and have it be your mantra for the day. External encouragement is always helpful on the path to loving yourself freely.
5. Cook. There is something about getting familiar with your food. The texture, the smells, the sounds. By preparing your own foods you get up close and personal with what you’re putting in your body.
6. Take a grateful shower. Next time you’re in the shower, go through every inch of your body and say I am grateful for… my hair, my eyes, my lips, my skin, my heart, my bones, etc. Consciously being grateful for what you have is an ultimate gift of self love.
7. Meditate. To love ourselves we’ve got to be real with ourselves and sometimes getting real with ourselves and facing our darkest corners can be scary. Meditation helps you get real with yourself. It teaches us to breathe into each moment, noticing our thoughts and distinguish what serves us and what doesn’t.
8. Learn something new. Learning a new skill, especially if it’s something you’ve always wanted to do, will have you feeling inspired. Inspiration is sexy. Take a class on Skillshare, check out local workshops or lectures, grab some friends and find a cooking class.
9. Chill the fuck out. In a world where it seems we don’t have time to relax, relaxing may be the number one thing we need. Catering to ourselves is not selfish. We must cater to ourselves first before we can help others. Loving ourselves first, allows us to love others. So take a chill pill, read a book, take a bath, or maybe pick something off this list and do that.
10. Drink lots of water. Taking care of yourself is self love. Don’t do it to be hot, do it because you know it’s good for you. The hotness will follow.
11. Say yes. Say yes to the things that light that fire deep inside your being. Say yes to the things that make you feel alive. Say yes to sleeping in on Sunday mornings and chocolate covered strawberries. If it has you ooze passion and happiness out of your pores, then say yes!
12. Say no. Say no to the things that don’t light your fire. Say no to gossip and trash talking. Say no to the news and negative Facebook feeds. Say no and understand that what you say no to, means you say yes to something else.
13. Exercise. Search Youtube or join YogaGlo, find a 30 minute Yoga class and practice it everyday. Not into Yoga, do something active, even if it’s just for 30 minutes. Exercise is good for our bodies, our minds and our spirits. When we feel good we look good and when we look good, we feel good. Find something that makes you sweat and get to it. Make a commitment to exercise for 30 minutes everyday for 30 days. See what happens.
14. Stop feeling guilty. This one kinda goes with #1. Shit happens, some things out of our control. If you did something wrong say sorry, move on. Don’t feel guilty for speaking your truth. Don’t feel guilty for following your heart. Don’t feel guilty for being a rockstar. Did you eat an extra serving of ice cream? Great! Enjoy it, then love yourself and skip the second serving next time… nothing to feel guilty over.
15. Eat your vegetables. This one goes with #10. What you put in your body reflects outwardly. Really want to do your body good? Do a short cleanse, start a healthy eating plan or just eat more vegetables.
16. I Am statements. This one is huge and helped me overcome some deep ingrained fears. Every night write down as many I Am statements as you can think of. I am abundant. I am clear and confident in my teaching. I am loving exercise. I am forgiven. I am forgiving. I am loved. I am divine light. I am flourishing, etc. Really want to take yourself to the edge? Commit to doing the 90 Days of Shift.
17. Ask a friend out for coffee (or tea). Engaging with others in real time is nourishing to the soul. Laugh, cry and share stories about the grandness of life and what romances your heart.
18. Journal. Write out your thoughts, free of criticism. Writing things out can help us process a lot of pent up frustrations. Write poems, or things you want to remember. Write your I love you’s, I am statements and what your grateful for. Get your thoughts out of your head and onto something that can reflect back to you what matters most.
19. Take a social media break. Do it. Turn off the computer, turn off your phone. Unplug for a day or even the whole weekend. Time spent catching up on what everyone ate for lunch is time you could be giving to yourself. Besides, your eyes could probably use the break.
20. Take a walk in nature. Nature is very healing. It soothes our souls and refreshes our spirits. Don’t live by a beach or forest? Go to a park, hell… hug a tree or just get out in walk with the blue sky over your head.
21. Know that there is perfection in the imperfections. We put a lot of pressure on ourselves to be perfect. What is perfection? Perfection is what we make it to be and it varies from person to person. I’m not saying to not strive for your very best, I’m saying be realistic about what you are striving for. Ask yourself if it’s something you want or are you striving for something you think other people/society want of you. Be perfect in your own light.
22. Walk around your house naked. Love your body. Love every freak’n nook and cranny of it. From the top of your head all the way down to your toe nails. Love it with clothes on, with clothes off, with lumps, with dents, with creases. Love it bald, or hairy, smooth or ruff. You’ve only got one body, so love it dearly. Your body is sacred space, treat it that way.
23. Take road trips (even if it’s just for the weekend). Sometimes we just got to get away. Jump in the car, either solo or with a friend, and drive somewhere new. Going to new places gives us a chance to reflect on life. What we are doing with it and what we want to do with it. Pay attention… if your not doing what your heart desires then it’s time to make a change. Traveling helps me contemplate things like that, maybe it will for you too. If not, then at least have a good time.
24. Dance. Put on your favorite song, blast the stereo and dance your fucking heart out. Or go out dancing. Find a band or DJ that is playing locally and buy tickets. My manfriend and I make it a point to go dancing at least once a month. It’s a great way to release stress.
25. Live a life you are proud of. It easy to compare our lives to others expectations but none of that matters. It’s not about how much money you made or how many people you knew, it’s about how much you loved. At the end of your days, be remembered for loving yourself and others whole heartedly. Be an inspiration for others, no matter how small or large. When you are old, look back on your life and have no regrets.